Princess Diana made history in April 1987 when she was snapped shaking hands with an HIV patient without wearing any gloves or protection. It was a landmark since this picture helped spread the message of HIV awareness and also educate people as well as changed people’s perception of the illness. A humanitarian in total action, Princess Diana not only believed in preaching but practised what she felt truly. This and 10 more things about Princess Diana you probably didn’t know.
Every one of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.
Amazing words, by one of the most influential persons in the 20th century, this fair icon, a late royal noble, who lived most of her life under the paparazzi spotlight also in the most oppressive, harsh scrutiny, thanks to the circumstances surrounding her marriage, life and death.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
Yes, Princess Diana, fondly known as the People’s Princess and also Princess of Wales, often addressed as Lady Di was a lady full of astonishing surprises. A figure of humility, a beacon of hope and kindness, she was such an influential figure that even a quarter century after her death, Princess Diana’s legacy still remains strong as she remains more popular than her former husband King Charles and the monarchy too in general.
As a youngster, I always saw that the story of these 2 royals was never that of star-crossed lovers. I mean cmon’ you cannot deny that this is surely one of the most woefully mismatched married couples ever, plagued by infidelity, press controversial leaks and much more. However, their 20-year-old relationship which sadly came to an end was in no way free of controversies and there must still be quite a few things about this British royal you probably didn’t know.
So, today we bring you 10 things about Princess Diana that you probably didn’t know:
- Her parents divorced when she was just 7: Her parents Frances Kydd and Edward Spencer divorced when she was just 7 years old. Her mom cited cheating and physical abuse as reasons for their separation.
- Diana’s grandmother was a lady-in-waiting to the Queen: Diana’s maternal grandma Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy was a lady-in-waiting to the late Queen Elizabeth. She was a close assistant to the late Queen and a friend too.
- Wanted to be a ballerina: Oh yes, Lady Di had learnt ballet dancing and wanted to be a professional dancer but since she was too tall as per the required specifications for a ballet dancer, she could not do so. Her dance teacher Anne A. often spoke about how dance helped Lady Di alleviate her emotional stress.
- She earned as a kindergarten part-time teacher: Oh yes, she was paid $5 an hour to play with kids plus do the cleaning and laundry too. She was also a part-time teacher in London’s Pimlico.
- King Charles had dated her older sister first!: Although Diana had met her then-future husband King Charles through her older sister Sarah, Sarah and King Charles had a casual affair earlier. But Sarah says she is “Cupid” coz she introduced the two.
- Her ivory taffeta wedding dress holds the record of being one of the best in the world with a 25-foot-long train and over 10000 pearls embedded in it! One fashionista, if you ask me!
- Did you know that Lady Di wrote a Thank You card to almost every person who ever gave her a gift? Gratitude at its royal best!
- She may have anticipated her own death since she said in a handwritten note that “my husband is planning an accident in my car, brake failure and serious head injury in order to make the path clear for him to marry (Camilla)”.
- She struggled with an eating disorder “bulimia” which she termed as a disease one inflicts upon themselves because their self-esteem is at a low ebb and one doesn‘t think they are worthy or valuable.
- She refused the royal wedding vow of “obey” and instead chose to “promise” to love him, comfort him, honour him and keep him healthy. BTW, Kate and Meghan too followed suit and kept “obey” out of their vows during their wedding.
So, hope you guys liked these unusual facts about Princess Diana. I bet these 10 things about Princess Diana you probably didn’t know about. Stay tuned with us right here at Booxoul for the best in the field of entertainment, travel, fun, finance, fashion, education, tech and gadgets as well as all things bookish.
Keep watching this space for more interesting, controversial information about the Royal family coming real soon!